Wigs offer a versatile and convenient way to change your hairstyle instantly. Whether you wear wigs for fashion, medical reasons, or simply for fun, knowing how to change the part on your wig can significantly enhance its natural appearance. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of changing the part on both human hair and synthetic wigs. By following these instructions, you’ll be able to achieve a seamless and natural-looking part, allowing you to experiment with different styles and transform your wig to suit your preferences.
I. Understanding Wig Parts
Before we delve into the process of changing a wig part, it’s essential to understand the different types of wig parts. Wigs typically have three types of parts: center parts, side parts, and freestyle parts. Center parts run straight down the middle of the wig, while side parts are positioned to the left or right side. Freestyle parts, on the other hand, allow you to part the wig anywhere you desire. By having a clear idea of the type of part you want, you can proceed to change it accordingly.
II. Changing the Part on Human Hair Wigs
Human hair wigs offer the most natural look and feel, providing you with the versatility to style and change the part as desired. Here’s a step-by-step process to change the part on a human hair wig:
1. Prepare the Wig:
Gently comb or brush the wig to remove any tangles or knots. Place the wig on a wig stand or mannequin head to keep it stable during the process.
- Locate the Current Part: Identify the current parting on the wig by examining the direction of the hair. Use a comb to lift the hair near the existing part, making it easier to create a new part.
- Create a New Part: Decide on the new part’s location and use the end of a rattail comb to gently create a guideline. Starting at the front, use the comb to separate the hair along the guideline, creating a clean part.
- Adjust the Hair: Carefully pull the hair to either side of the new part, ensuring it lies naturally and smoothly. Use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to blend the hair together, minimizing any visible separation.
- Style and Finishing Touches: With the new part in place, style the wig as desired, using heat tools, curlers, or accessories. Apply a small amount of wig-specific styling products, such as hairspray or mousse, to maintain the look
III. Changing the Part on Synthetic Wigs
While synthetic wigs offer their unique benefits, such as affordability and low maintenance, changing the part on them requires extra care to avoid damaging the fibers. Here’s a step-by-step process to change the part on a synthetic wig:
- Prepare the Wig: Gently detangle the wig using a wide-toothed comb or a wig brush designed for synthetic hair. Place the wig on a wig stand or mannequin head to hold it steady throughout the process.
- Locate the Current Part: Determine the existing parting on the wig by observing the direction of the hair fibers. Use your fingers or a comb to lift the hair near the current part, creating a guideline for the new part.
- Create a New Part: Decide on the new part’s location and gently use the end of a rattail comb to mark the guideline. Starting from the front, use the comb to separate the hair along the guideline, ensuring not to apply excessive pressure that may damage the synthetic fibers.4. Adjust the Hair: Carefully comb or use your fingers to move the hair to either side of the new part, allowing it to fall naturally. Synthetic wigs are less malleable than human hair wigs, so it’s important to be gentle and avoid pulling or tugging on the hair.
- Style and Finishing Touches: Once the new part is in place, you can style the wig using low-heat tools or accessories specifically designed for synthetic hair. Avoid using high-heat styling tools, as they can cause irreversible damage to synthetic fibers.If needed, use wig-friendly styling products like wig spray or gel to enhance the desired look
IV. Additional Tips and Maintenance
When changing the part on a wig, take your time and be patient to achieve a natural appearance.Experiment with different parts to find the most flattering look for your face shape and personal style.Remember to care for your wig regularly by following the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning, conditioning, and storing.Use wig stands or mannequin heads to maintain the wig’s shape and prevent tangling or matting.If you’re unsure about changing the wig part yourself, consider consulting a professional hairstylist who has experience working with wigs.
Changing the part on a wig, whether it’s a human hair wig or a synthetic wig, allows you to customize your hairstyle and create various looks. By following the step-by-step instructions outlined in this guide and practicing proper wig maintenance, you can confidently change the part on your wig and enjoy a seamless and natural appearance.